Friday, October 22, 2010

Kid's bedroom Process Work to Final

This is one of the trace process sheets that I created for the Kid's Bedroom. First, I began brainstorming the needs the children would have in the space and began exploring different layouts for it. I was designing for two 6 year old twin girls and had to find a balance between public and privacy. Being sisters living in the same room for most of their life would be difficult if they cannot get away from each other. I knew siblings that shared the same room and it can get scary. Unfortunately, the layout I chose in the final is not on this sheet. I had decided to put a bunk bed against the back wall in the center of the room and one desk and dresser on each side, sort of a symmetrical layout. Again, brainstorming helps me come up with ideas I never knew I had! It's really liberating.

This concept model was created from one of many partis going back to a children's book called "Welcome to the Greenhouse;" I picked it for its wonderfully colored pages of the jungle and animals within the jungle. I used to love dinosaurs and rain forests when I was little because it was something I had never seen before and it was quite the stretch of imagination. So I used the quote written on the photo above as my inspiration and took three words from it: transformation, layers, and freedom. The layers I got from the layers of foliage. Freedom I got from the feeling you would get in the outdoors where there are no walls. And transformation I got from a page in the book featuring butterflies and I associated the caterpillar and pupa with it; also because these twin girls will live in this room presumably for a while, they will get to learn a little about growth and development from when small to out in college and even into the working world. As the photo shows, I wanted to symbolize freedom and transformation through the green strips of paper flowing out farther than the opening. The blue origami star in the inside represents the feeling of safety, innocence, the core of imagination. I'm very happy with this concept model. I probably would not change anything about this model because I really consider it successful.This bedroom way the model of the final layout of the bedroom. Constructing it in 3D really helps me process the information of what I'm doing and what it will look like and I use it many times for my perspective drawings. I originally had two doors on the far left wall of the bedroom leading to a closet and bathroom but decided to take out the closet at the last moment because they just was not enough room to make a comfortable bathroom for two girls. They would each have a dresser and a desk for their homework and clothes and a chest on the right wall. Thus they each have their own space on either side of the bunk bed and share a common space around the bottom of the bunk beds; this concept of separate but together was very important. Next the ceiling: the skylight is a direct abstraction of the narrow slots of light on the jungle rooftop and the propped down soffits represent the layers of leaves and foliage. Overall the limited space in which to design the bedroom was a bit disappointing. And I do wish I had put more storage space in the room but I did adore the design of the ceiling.
This is the final presentation of the Kid's Bedroom. I took a picture from the book portraying frogs and redrew them here, changing the composition as I wanted. My main colors in this are brown, bright orange, green,and white. I really liked how it came together although the transition from the parti and bedroom got a bit lost as I struggled in coming up with a functional room. I tend to put function before design whenever I design. Since I did not want to overpower the room in the rain forest theme and leaves, I left it as pieces they could easily be taken down once they moved in. Many of the pieces of furniture and the bed coverings with the paper lanterns are custom made. I struggled also with designing for teenagers and kids because of how trends change and how the two age groups differ from each other. It was a struggle that I had to push through though. I am satisfied with the results although there are so many things I would change if I did it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment