Friday, November 5, 2010

Bathroom Design




This project marks the point where I have fallen in love with my major! I had so much fun designing this bathroom! This is my grandparent's bathroom and I had to make it accessible to wheelchairs. The first thing I decided to do was separate the toilet from the shower. Two years ago, I visited my grandmother in France and my mom and I stayed at her apartment. In it the toilet and shower were separate, with a room for the shower and a sink and the toilet by itself in a small room. I found myself staring at the toilet and wondered how I would wash my hands; thus, I added a sink in the room with the toilet. Initially my inspiration came from European bathrooms and how warm and comfortable they can appear while being clean and from that I pulled out a neutral-brown palette; but it seemed too boring so I added a blue green (glass tiles for storage shelves). I had decided to bump in two of my walls to make the storage shelves because of safety concerns; when shelves stick straight out, they usually end up injuring the person in the room being they usually bump into them, so I decided to cut out a space for the shelves. They would be covered in blue-green glass tiles and have glass shelves, but there would be 24 inches of clear space underneath the last shelf to avoid injury. The shelves would only be 6 inches deep. Next I wanted a curved wall in the bathroom, this was so that it would aid the 5 foot wide turning circle for a wheelchair as well as add to the clear space in front of the toilet on the other side of the wall. I added grab bars around the toilet and in the shower for safety reasons. The shower would have a beige opaque glass door for added privacy and a soffit built to lower the ceiling for a more sheltered feeling yet there would be room between the soffit and glass door for ventilation. The fixtures in the bathroom would all be a traditional white ceramic and the toilet would be commercial with only the bowl sticking out of the wall for easier access for people in wheelchairs. I absolutely loved synthesizing accessibility/functionality with aesthetics. It really is rewarding after you finish your design and think that anyone could live there. This particular floor plan is my favorite I've designed and I really think I could build it! It's just so efficient. The one thing I'm not sure about is the area where the doors open; both of the doors open into the living room and the bedroom is right next to the room with the toilet, with no door opening into it. However, overall, I am satisfied with the design and hope that I can advance my designs in my final project!

1 comment:

  1. This design will surely look good. I will ask my friend about it because she is looking for great bathroom designs.
    shower storage

    ReplyDelete