Friday, December 17, 2010

Final Project - Grandparent's Residence




This is probably the one project that I really feel proud of. Reading over the notes from my past projects, I learned to correct my mistakes and go forward. I also learned that a little extra work goes a long way. When I had started the project, I began with the bedroom and tried to visualize it first; but it was not necessary in the end product. To give a better sense of the space, I included all the rooms, albeit the dining room which is in the kitchen. I had tried to stay within the concept which was inspired by John Denver's "Country Roads" song. It was a challenge that I found to be easier accomplished than I thought. When I had finished giving my third presentation of this project, the reviewers reviewing me told me that my project had a semi-contemporary outlook to it; when others had picked olive green (it matched the Palouse palette much better), I had gone for a bright and lively apple martini green (counter tops). I had not noticed this and had always seen myself as more of a traditional designer with wood paneled doors instead of a steel or walnut wood door embedded with aluminum. I did like the verdict, however, and found myself fond of warm, dark, and lively colors. If I could change it, though, I would add more perspectives in the kitchen, showing the layout of the main counter tops area, and have two perspectives for every room. All sides of the rooms had important elements going back to my concept. I had visualized this in my floor plan and when designing the layout, everything had to have meaning, whether functional, psychological, or relating back to my concept. There were a few mistakes made such as the dishwasher and dryer stack being out of ADA compliance but I am sure that with all the technology and appliances out there, there should be one that could be useful to a person in a wheelchair. I did have trouble with the doors and trying to see how many different doors there were and which ones gave which kind of feeling so I stuck mainly to wood paneled doors, giving a sense of warmness and homeliness to the place. I also have trouble finding accessories to decorate the space so it seems like someone is living there and the space does not seem abandoned. I did learn that when working with a space that it is better to stick with one or two species of wood but after that it breaks up the flow; I used bamboo and oak to link the spaces together. I am really excited about the progress I have made and hope to learn and be able to design some more amazing spaces in the future! Although I spent around 7-11 hours for six to seven days working on this project, it really was worth it. I can honestly say that this is the project I am most proud on.

No comments:

Post a Comment