Tuesday, February 8, 2011


This project was promoted by the Habitat for Humanity company where they wanted a three-bedroom, 1100 square foot, one-level house plan. They wanted this as an option for future construction. The house would have a double-wall, double-insulated, exterior wall that has 24-on-center stud placement. Thus my partner and I got to building!
Our inspiration and concept statement are written in the pictures above but we focused more on functionality than design with consideration for our client. We designed the house to be passive, the southern side of the house naturally receiving the most light in the cold environment of Union Town.
This project was a real challenge that tested my communication skills and bypassing stressful conflicts and being willing to negotiate in order to reach a solution in which both of us were satisfied. My partner is a hard worker and she does amazing work! I learned so much more about designing floor plans and adding detail thanks to her. She was really easy to work with and did not slack off. Hopefully my next partnering will be a lot like this one.
If I were to do this project again, I would make use of the time in the beginning of the project and use that to make the situation a little less stressful. But I am proud of the floor plan we developed, it is efficient and takes into account the qualities desired in a real home.

No comments:

Post a Comment